I received this recipe from a friend for an easy make at home pita bread. The recipe takes a couple of hours to make, but the fresh bread is delicious!
1 Tablespoon baking yeast
1 scant Tablespoon salt (a little less than a tablespoon)
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 cups warm water
6-7 cups of flour
1. Mix yeast, salt and sugar with 1/2 cup of warm water in a large bowl. Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
2. After the 10 minutes are up add the rest of the warm water and 4 cups of flower. Stir until dough clears the side of the bowl, adding flour as needed.
3. Knead the dough. Flour a surface where you can knead the dough. The dough should be pressed and stretched with the heel of your hand, folded over and rotated 90° several times until the dough is elastic and smooth.
4. Shape the dough into a ball and rub lightly with olive oil. Place the dough back into the bowl and cover with a towel. Set the bowl in a warm place and leave until the dough has doubled, which is about 45 minutes.
5. Once the dough has doubled. Preheat an oven to 450°F. Punch down the dough and cut it into 12 pieces.
6. Flour a surface to roll out the dough pieces. Roll the dough into 1/4 inch thickness and pat into a round shape. I personally do not roll the dough pieces out. I just take a piece in my hand and shape it into a round and try to get the dough into a 1/4 inch thickness, that way I don’t mess up counter space again.
7. Once shaped brush both sides with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the other dough pieces. Bake immediately. Bake for 8 minutes or until the pita is lightly browned.