My husband and I decided to make granola bars tonight for snacks at work. I have made them before and he wanted to try his hand at making them and using a recipe with peanut butter in it. He found a recipe he wanted to try online and I added a few ingredients. The original recipe we used as a guide is located here, and below is my modified version. Enjoy!
*picture to come soon
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- 1/2 cup whole flax seed (you can grind up to get more benefits from it)
- 1/4 cup honey, maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 cup creamy salted natural peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/2 cup sliced or chopped almonds
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- optional additions: dried fruit, nuts, banana chips, vanilla, etc.
- Optional step: Toast your oats, almonds and flax seeds in a 350 degree oven for 15-ish minutes or until slightly golden brown. You can leave them raw.
- Place oats, almonds and flax seeds in a bowl – set aside.
- Warm honey and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix.
- Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to an 8×8 dish or other small pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment paper so they lift out easily.
- Press down until flattened. Cover with parchment or plastic wrap, and let set in fridge or freezer for 15-20 minutes to harden.
- Remove bars from pan and chop into even bars. Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. I kept mine in the freezer to keep them extra fresh, but it isn’t necessary.